Friday, April 4, 2014

Things I've learnt since having a school kid...

So today marks the end of the first 2 weeks of life with a school kid. It's been an interesting ride so far!
I have already learnt A LOT, and I'm sure I will learn a lot more!

Here's what I have learnt so far....

1. I DO NOT like having to get up and get dressed EVERY morning for the school drop off
2. I DO NOT like having to have some sort of tidy looking hair for the school drop off
3. I REALLY miss my PJ days!
4. I can't wait for the school holidays so I can stay in my PJs and have bed hair ALL DAY
5. I hate making lunches even more than I did already
6. I am AMAZING for making a fortnights worth of baking for the lunches and freezing it ... so much easier when I only have to worry about making a sandwich every morning... wonder if I could stretch it to a month's worth?
7.My child will be grumpy when she gets home from school
8.My child will be emotional when she gets home from school (even looking at her makes her cry)

* Points 8&9 I was told so many times before she started school but I didn't believe them*

I'M A BELIEVER! If anyone ever tells you those 2 things - they are totally true

9. She will develop the attitude of, "I'm 5 now I can do whatever I want"
10. She thinks she can go to bed at ridiculous hours of the night just because she is 5
11. I (the parent) am wrong about EVERYTHING!
12. I (the parent) know NOTHING AT ALL!
13. I (the parent) do not do ANYTHING right (the same way as the teacher)
14. I (the parent) CANNOT READ
15. I (the parent) do not know any of the words in the reading books that come home, so how dare I even try to correct her!
16. I am not the teacher so I don't have a say about anything
17. The school uniform will come home filthy everyday (who's idea was it to have a white top)?
18. MY CHILD WILL BE OK WITHOUT ME
19. It's ok to let her go (just a little bit) :-)
20. She's growing up - it's ok
21. She's learning so many things at an alarming rate
22. It's ok - she has made some friends - don't worry that she'll spend the whole day alone
23. Don't worry - she knows where the toilets are
24. Don't worry - she knows the way to her classroom
25. I will go to as many school assemblies/class things as I can now before I'm not cool enough to be seen around the school
26. I will hold her hand and drop her off right inside the classroom everyday until I'm not cool enough to be seen around the school
27. I will kiss her goodbye everyday until it becomes uncool
28. I will be there everyday before 3pm to pick her up because I LOVE hearing her yell out "MUMMY"! as she runs out of the classroom
29. She loves routine and order in her life - she needs an after school routine - helps a little with points 8&9 - the grumps tend to be a little less if we know what we need to do when we get home... that's why we have this...



Makes life around here so much nicer!
I've learnt lots so far - I know there will be a lot more to learn but for now, we're getting there!

0 comments: