Thursday, November 7, 2013

Time for an update..... and a birth story

- So, last month we had Matthew's first pay.... the month didn't go too badly, I'm still working on how to manage the budget and counting down the days until the next pay!
- The fortnightly grocery shop is going really well - I'm not spending less yet but I am coming in within my budget, and also am buying more of some things in bulk which is lasting right through - totally loving not having to go to the supermarket every week! I will get there on the spending less thing!

ANYWAY....
now for the exciting news.....

We welcomed a baby GIRL into our family a couple of weeks ago... by emergency c-section. - Not the way I planned on giving birth but the main thing is that she arrived safely.
The week before I was induced I had to go to have her turned as she was breech - that was successful and we were all go for the induction the following week.

So induction day comes around and we go to the hospital where i'm monitored for a while, then they put the gel in. Nothing happened other than a few tightenings so they just kept monitoring me, and would give me another dose of gel in 6 hours time depending on how we were going. Overnight the tightenings started to get stronger, but the little monkey kept hiding from the monitor.... at around 3am I think it was the midwife came in to check on my progress, and she couldn't get a reading on the monitor.... she said words to us that we were hoping we wouldn't have to hear.... "I think your baby has turned breech again".... I wasn't happy about that as I had been told that if she was to turn breech again, it would most likely result in a c-section because of the high risk birth already with my gestational diabetes :-(

Anyway, I was about 5cms dilated by this stage and the doctor was sent in to do an ultrasound to check the baby's position - BREECH! (You've got to be kidding me).... so there was a quick chat about having the baby naturally or a c-section, then we were left alone for a couple of minutes to think about what we wanted to do.... the doctor came back in and said she had talked to her registrar and that c-section was the best option as there was no one in the hospital available to try and turn the baby again, and they couldn't guarantee a time that they could get there to do it, and also they thought the baby was going to be big because of the diabetes and there was a risk she might get stuck and we'd be in worse trouble, so she was bumping me up the list and it was an emergency c-section.

So off we went to theatre... (Matthew looked pretty good in his scrubs and I was momentarily secretly wishing he'd studied to become some kind of surgeon instead....)
Anyway.... it was in the theatre that I did my first shot! They gave me some of that disgusting stuff that neutralizes your stomach acids or something like that and the Anaesthetist said to me "just drink it like you a having a shot" - HAHA - I've never done a shot before!
Then it was time for the spinal to go in.... that was the bit I was a little scared about but it wasn't even that bad.... oh my goodness..... I can see why people get an epidural - that stuff is amazing.... the pain is instantly gone! Then I felt my legs losing their life and going numb... that was the weirdest feeling ever!
I don't remember much after that point, until I saw my beautiful baby girl for the first time - she wasn't even that big.
She was born on the 22nd October at 5:28am weighing 8lb 5oz. She was unnamed for 2 days as i had changed my mind about the name we had chosen a week before she was born - it just didn't feel right. Then when we finally did choose a name there was the whole issue of how to spell it as it can be spelt different ways - once she was named though it suited her perfectly and we're happy with it. :-)
She spent her first night in the NICU as she was having trouble stabilizing her blood sugar levels (one of the effects from my diabetes), then she spent the next few nights after that in a billibed as she got Jaundice, but now we are home and she is doing well - her siblings love her - especially The Dude - he wants to kiss her all day! She's pretty delicious! But I must say that I have never heard a baby squeak as much as she does - it's hilarious! I want to nickname her Squeak but Matthew doesn't seem too keen on that
I'm still deciding on a blog name for her... Squeak???? Hahahahaha

Anyway, here's some photos....


Look how cute this is...


and here's our first family photo....


I'm one happy Mama.... life is goooooood! :-)

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Yes to epidurals. And if your anesthesiologist is good you get just enough to cut out the pain but you can still move your legs and feel when you are having contractions. It's AMAZING.

Also, good job bringing a baby into this world! Way to go, and I hope your recovery was good!

Renee said...

Congratulations!!! You look fantastic!! And good on ya with the monthly budgeting!! It's a tough one to master! (I never quite managed!)