Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Secret Project Reveal...


Warning: Lots of photos in this post!

So I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time.... all over the internet there are pictures of ones made from old bedside tables or entertainment units. I couldn't find any that I wanted to turn into one... so I thought that maybe my clever husband could build one, so I drew him a picture of what I wanted it to look like... then I found one pretty much the same as my picture!

So anyway.... if you haven't already guessed, we have spent the last couple of weeks in our garage working on a play kitchen for our kids.





We decided to keep it the same, except we removed the cupboard door under the sink to have just the shelves, and I also wanted the oven door to open downwards instead of to the side. I also wanted to only have 2 stove elements to make room for some storage at the back behind them, and I really wanted a real tap - (thanks to Grandma and Grandad for giving us their old leaking tap) :-)



So.... here is what it looks like now...


I'm just a wee bit proud of us! OK... a lot proud of us!!!!
I love how it has turned out. Thanks to my wonderful clever husband for being the brains and making the changes I wanted.

More pictures...

The Freezer (top) and Fridge (bottom) - we may need to go shopping and get some more food!


The Oven (now opens downwards), and the shelf next to it without the door. It holds all of her toy cutlery, plates and cups, and her chopping board, mixing bowl, and measuring cups.


another view - there is a light in the oven!!!! It's just one of those ones that you press - we've stuck it on with velcro dots, so it can be easily removed to replace the batteries. (Matthew did have to reinforce the backing board at the back of the kitchen, so that when the light is pressed on and off it doesn't break the backing board)


Another view - I am quite proud of the microwave - done with stickers, and hand written then mod podged over the top. I am VERY grateful for washi tape around the bench - it is hiding my not so good at painting the edges mess HAHAHA. Am totally in love with the real tap!!


Nan got that cute little cup and saucer for Little Miss for $1.50 from the op shop, and I found the red teapot on clearance at The Warehouse for $1.70. The little teaset was gifted to Little Miss from a friend - it's been one of her favourite things since!


Also we have little hooks at the side of the kitchen to hang up the apron and oven mitts.
Matthew also came up with the idea of putting something on the bottom of the pot and pan so it didn't scratch the paint - we were going to put felt on the bottom but ended up gluing some foam on instead.
I also mod podged over the oven and stovetop markings to stop the sharpie I used from smudging or running if it happened to mysteriously come in contact with water, and I also mod podged the entire bench just for a bit of extra protection.

So there you have it!


Little Miss has patiently been waiting all week for the paint to harden - today was the day it got shifted into her bedroom. She's one happy little girl!!


Happily cooking some 'egg soup' :-)
Feel free to ask any questions!

3 comments:

Renee said...

OMG this is AMAZING!!!!! Well done guys!!! (wer abouts did you find the kitchen??)

Angela said...

Um...I think it was kind of cute before too.

The new one is very mod though, no disputing.

Incredible.

Modern Day Mummying said...

Jasmine I LOVE the kitchen! You did so well doing it up! Very creative of you! My sister has an old kitchen that could do with a make over like that! Will def show her this post.

I've tagged your blog over at Modern Day Mummying for the Liebster's Blog Award... Have a look under my post labelled: "My First AWARD" - If it's not your thing then that's ok but otherwise join in on the fun :)

Sophie xo